124 E 40th St #301, New York, NY 10016
Do you love cherries? I do not know of anyone who does not. Here are six great benefits of cherries that will make you love them even more:
1. Cherries can attenuate arthritis pain. Cherries reduce the amount of inflammation in the body by reducing C-reactive protein, which is an inflammatory marker in the blood. Cherries also decrease uric acid, which causes pain and swelling of the joints. The USDA did a study that showed that two cups of cherries can reduce uric acid by as much as 15%. If you suffer from arthritis then you want to eat bing cherries.
2. Cherries contain cyanidin, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps keep cancer cells from growing out of control. You will want to look for the deepest darkest colored cherries as they contain the most cyanidin.
3. Cherries can help you sleep. Cherries contain melatonin which is a hormone produced by the body to help you feel sleepy. Studies show that just 2 tablespoons of tart cherry juice is just as effective as taking a melatonin supplement.
4. Cherries are an excellent source of potassium which helps lower your blood pressure by helping your body get rid of excess sodium. 1 cup contains as much potassium as a banana.
5. A cup of cherries is less than 100 calories and packs in 3 grams of fiber, which will keep you feeling full longer and may help to prevent overeating. They also contain many B-vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B6, which are crucial for metabolism and converting nutrients into energy.
6. They taste great!